With that being said... Over the past month I have been trying my best to plan out our weekly menu and go to the store Monday morning to get everything for the week. I have enjoyed trying out new recipes ad it keeps us from eating out so much. If I have all the ingredients here, I don't mind cooking. It is the last minute grocery items that make me give up on the idea. A few people have been asking me about recipes so I decided I am going to post some here that I have tried and really like.
Valentine's evening we made Pepper Crusted Steak, Roasted-Garlic Green Beans & Parmesan Mashed Potatoes. I thought the sides were SO good!! These recipes are from Cooks Country. My favorite cooking magazine. http://www.cookscountry.com/?extcode=K00GBAQ00
Roasted-Garlic Green Beans (serves 6)
I cut this recipe in a 3rd for John and I
12 garlic cloves, peeled and halved lengthwise
2 T EVOO
1/4 t sugar
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
1 1/2 pounds green beans, trimmed
3 T water
4 t white wine vinegar
salt & pepper
1. Microwave garlic, oil & sugar until garlic is softened and fragrant, about 1 min. Transfer 1 T oil from garlic mixture to large skillet. Reserve remaining garlic mixture.
2 (my cooking times were a lot less for such a smaller amount) Heat skillet over med-high heat until oil is shimmering. Add green beans & water and cook, covered, until bright green, about 3 min. Add reserved garlic mixture to pan; do not stir. Continue to cook, covered, until beans are almost tender, about 3 min. Remove lid and cook, stirring occasionally, until beans are browned in spots and garlic is golden, 2 to 3 min. Off heat, stir in vinegar and season w/ salt & pepper.
Parmesan Mashed Potatoes (serves 8-10)
again cut this recipe WAY down, not sure when you are making potatoes for 8-10 that often. I cut it in half and we had leftovers; which I never mind of mashed potatoes.
4lbs Yucon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1 1/2 C heavy cream (I used 2% milk and it was rich enough!)
6 T unsalted butter
2 C grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 C grated Asiago cheese
2 t salt
1. Bring potatoes and enough water to cover by 1" to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 min.
2. Heat cream (milk), butter, cheeses & salt in saucepan over med heat, whisking until smooth, about 5 min. (it took me about 2 min for half mixture)
3. Drain potatoes, return to pot, combine mixture with potatoes and mash w/ potato masher until evenly incorporated. YUMMY!
I made the potatoes ahead of time and then reheated when we were ready to eat.




1 comment:
MM. I'm going to have to try those recipes.
Again, DARLING pictures!!
Post a Comment